Not too long ago we had to move a few things to storage because our place was getting out of control and crowded. We usually do everything ourselves because we plan our days strategically and so we can get the most amount of things done. We dislike having to wait and we dislike working with people that don’t stay true to their word. Here are some steps I take to get my day going.
- We get up early in the morning and start a pot of coffee. I love to read in the morning because it gets me ready for the day. Reading a good book and drinking some coffee is my daily ritual. I got into having a ritual when I noticed that if I didn’t, then I’d be staring at my phone for an hour every morning. I wrote about that in my last post, about how you should keep your phone away from your bed at night to keep yourself from doing the very same thing. Well, now I found out that a daily ritual definitely helps me.
- About an hour of reading, I’m ready to start breakfast for myself and for anyone who also wants to eat at that time. If there is anything that needs to be done around the house, then I make sure I get the most important done first. I recently got this idea from another writer who put together a piece explaining how putting together a list of 20 tasks and then narrowing it down into a top 5 list really helps with your schedule. He found out that the list of 20 was what people normally do to waste time. We create distractions around our life and it stops us from completing the important things. I find this to be true because I also tend to clean around the house when there was something else that needed to be done right away. The house cleaning was just a distraction from the important task. House cleaning was important too, but it could wait.
- After you’re done with one task, take a 5-minute break and start the next task on the list. I needed to move things to a storage unit and I said I love to do things myself. The problem is that with my tight schedule, I needed help so I decided to hire people. The moving was the 4th task on my list but since I knew it’d take awhile, I decided to call some Austin movers and then get right down to the second task while waiting. It worked out perfectly because I finished my second and third tasks just in time. I always advise people to manage their time effectively. The most successful people in the world know how to manage their time perfectly.
- If your 5 tasks are finished before noon, you can start the other tasks from the original 20 or you can pick 5 from them for tomorrow’s list and waste the whole day. I said I was a homebody and I love to waste time, but I also love to be productive and get stuff done. If you do start some more tasks, then it is important to take the fifth step.
- The fifth step is to take a nap before you so any more tasks. 30-60 minute naps are ideal, no more and no less. It is important to take a nap before you start other tasks. If you don’t start the other tasks, then don’t take a nap and instead get outside, work out, get sweaty and tired. Follow your normal day routine, visit friends or family because in the morning you’ll need to get up and do the same thing. I like to read at night and write down my list for the next morning.
I recommend starting these five steps with a friend, family member, or partner so you can both be on the same page. You two can practice with the same list, mix & match, or have two completely different lists and get back together in the afternoon. It works wonderfully and until I find a better way to start my day, I’ll keep using these 5 steps. If you don’t, you’ll start being like I was before…